Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Worth reading

I do not know why am I lately was so preoccupied (read: obsessed) with psychiatry. Anything related to psychiatry would trigger my mind to concentrate or at least to pay attention on it.

I have spoken to Dr. Nora (my lecturer in Psychiatry Department) when we had a chat before the exam that I could not believe myself that I have got this much of interest in psychiatry now as I did not pay much attention during the short posting of psychiatry when I was in 4th year. I even failed the MCQ test for that short posting (luckily it was just for the carry marks).

It was simply because I did not put much effort on it. I just went through the past years questions and that was it. No reading or referring to textbook or even the simplified notes. The wordy handbook by Kaplan & Sadock was so 'thick' and I was always 'drowning' while reading it. For me, it was impossible to remember the lists of criteria and then make a diagnosis after clerking the patient who I could not understand his thinking at all. That showed on how much I 'hate' (read: not interested in) psychiatry.

I was quite afraid to face psychiatry posting during my final year. But, ahamdulillah, after so much prayers to Allah, I managed to go through the posting well. During that 7-week posting, I found that it is worth to read the wordy textbook. I regreted of not reading it earlier. Again, alhamdulillah, Allah still gave me chance to grab a bit from His knowledge.




Worth reading


Quick reading before exam


Very useful as it has details in specifiers for a particular diagnosis. It is handy!



I did not read this book during the posting. I only found it is useful and helpful after the exam.

"Read! In the name of your Rabb Who Created man from a leechlike mass. Read! Your Rabb is The Most Gracious, who taught by the pen, taught man what he knew not." Surah Al-Alaq (96): 1-5

25200 Kuantan

No comments:

Post a Comment